Although road accident deaths are relatively rare in Ireland, there was a 45% increase in driver deaths in 2019 compared to the previous year. Despite the deployment of new technology to help prevent further increases in injuries and deaths, together with additional gardaí assigned to police the roads, road accidents caused by human error remain an inevitability. If you have suffered the misfortune of being involved in an accident involving a bus, you may be eligible to make a claim.
Bringing a Claim for Negligence Against a Bus or Coach Company
Being involved in any sort of accident is frightening and distressing, so it’s understandable if you are unable to keep a completely accurate record of precisely what happened. However, there are several steps that you can take to improve the possibility of securing adequate compensation for your injuries. This includes the following:
- Write a record of what happened – if you are well enough to do so, try to do this as early as possible to ensure that you do not forget any of the details. It can help to draw an overhead map of where the collision took place, documenting any other vehicles or pedestrians involved in the accident.
- Take photos of the accident scene – again, if you or anyone in the vicinity, can take photos of the scene and surroundings, this may well help to aid your claim for compensation by providing clues to the cause of the accident.
- Note down the details of witnesses – if you can, try to take a record of phone numbers and email addresses of people who witnessed the accident. Witness testimony is one of the most powerful forms of evidence used in successful bus accident claims.
- Record the details of other drivers involved – be sure to collect the name of the bus driver, the bus company that (s)he works for, the registration and insurance details for the bus, alongside the details of any other vehicles involved in the collision.
If you have not been involved in a serious accident before, it may feel somewhat daunting to instigate the initial steps of a compensation claim. You may still be physically and emotionally traumatised by the impact of the accident or it may have significantly impacted your finances due to having to take extended time off work.
Whilst it is understandable to be reticent about your experience, it is advisable to seek advice regarding your situation as early as you can. This does not necessarily have to be started by the injured party and you can authorise someone you trust to instigate the claim on your behalf but for reasons of confidentiality we will never discuss any of your affairs with anyone without your clear and express consent beforehand. Speak to one of our specialist personal injury claims solicitors today for further advice.
Speak to our legal team now about your case. Call us Freephone on:
Request A Call Back
Get a call back from our legal team at a time that suits you.
Highly rated on TrustPilot
Read the latest reviews written by our happy clients.
Some links relating to this topic that you may find useful.
- European Road Safety Observatory – Facts and Figures – Buses / coaches / heavy
- ITF-oecd.org – Ireland Road Safety
- ITF-oecd.org – Risk factors for bus drivers’ health and safety
Start Your Bus Passenger Accident Claim
If you have sustained an injury as a result of a bus accident, either as a passenger or road user, get in contact with our specialist bus accident claims solicitors today to make a start on your claim or gather more information. Call us on 1800 390 555 and an experienced member of staff will discuss your situation and potential next steps. You can also email on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
About McCarthy + Co
With more than 25 years of experience in dealing with personal injury claims, McCarthy + Co. has expertise in a wide variety of fields including road traffic accidents. We are a family-run business, and we pride ourselves on offering honest, impartial, and helpful advice.
Our offices are based in Dublin and Cork, but we work with clients throughout Ireland in locations ranging from Galway to Waterford. You can count on us for legal advice, guidance, and assistance on any form of personal injury.
Our Awards & Accreditations
We are a multi-award winning firm, accredited by the Law Society of Ireland.
Directly contact our partners via email about your case.
Follow Flor on Social Media
Flor McCarthy wears multiple hats, not only as the managing partner of one of Ireland’s leading law firms, but also as an author, speaker and an acknowledged expert in client service, innovation and marketing.
Beginning his academic journey at UCC, Flor furthered his education with a master’s degree in law from UCD. After gaining valuable experience as a solicitor in Dublin, the allure of home and the family brought him back to West Cork to contribute his expertise to the family business.
Follow John on Social Media
John McCarthy is a seasoned solicitor with almost 20 years of experience, specialises in personal injury and medical negligence claims, focusing particularly on high-value compensation cases. His extensive litigation experience spans Circuit Court, High Court and Supreme Court levels.
John's practice involves a diverse range of cases, from personal injury and wrongful death to property damage, defective products, professional negligence and judicial reviews.