Propionic acid is an active ingredient for use as a fungicide and a bactericide on stored grains, hay, storage areas for silage and grains, poultry litter, and drinking water for poultry and livestock. It is used in shipping and storage and is applied either as a solution or on an absorbent to prevent mould in cereals and grains.

When used as a food additive, propionic acid does not result in any adverse health effects. However, either liquid or vapour exposure to the acid in its raw form can have serious health implications and can cause significant personal injuries.

Contact with the eyes can cause severe damage and in extreme cases may result in loss of vision. Skin contact with liquid and concentrated vapour can result in primary irritation and may cause severe burns. Inhalation will cause coughing, choking, headache and dizziness and will generally produce irritation of the eyes and respiratory tract with the amount of damage depending on the concentration level. The effects of ingestion include serious burns of the mouth, throat and stomach and vomiting and diarrhoea will be induced.

On the 23rd August 2010 a spill of up to 100 litres of this toxic substance – which is commonly referred to as ‘popcorn’ – occurred on a busy public road approximately two miles outside of Banagher in County Galway. It is understood that the spill was caused when a haulage vehicle being driven by an agricultural worker overturned on a road near the Galway-Offaly border.

Media reports suggest that a number of people have sought medical attention after coming into contact with this acid spill, with at least one female motorist requiring medical attention for burns to her feet.

Galway County Council has advised anyone complaining of ill effects from propionic acid exposure to contact the Health Service Executive directly regarding the matter. However, rather unhelpfully, neither the Council’s nor the HSE’s websites contain any further information on the incident. The Council has admitted that it does not know how many motorists had actually come in contact with the propionic acid which was spilled or how many would have known that it was toxic if they had done so.

If you have been exposed to propionic acid, either as a consequence of the spill at Banagher or otherwise, you should immediately seek medical attention by contacting your GP.

Once you have received any necessary initial medical treatments which may be required feel free to call John McCarthy on 023 883 3348 or email him at for a free initial consultation to discuss whether or not you are entitled to claim compensation for any personal injuries which you may have sustained.

Our Partners

Flor McCarthy

Flor McCarthy

Follow Flor on Social Media

Twitter: @flormccarthy
LinkedIn: /in/flormccarthy/

is one of Ireland’s leading lawyers, certified by the Law Society of Ireland in Data Protection Practice. He was chosen as Munster Solicitor of the Year at the Irish Law Awards in 2018. Flor completed his Masters degree in law at University College Dublin. [Read More]

John McCarthy Solicitor West Cork

John McCarthy

Follow John on Social Media

LinkedIn: /in/johnmccarthysolicitor/

John specialises in personal injury and medical negligence claims. His practice focuses on high value compensation cases. He has extensive experience in this area of litigation for over 10 years. John has acted in a wide variety of personal injury, wrongful death, property damage, medical negligence, defective product, professional negligence and judicial. [Read More]