If you have suffered an injury whilst at sea and you believe a third party is responsible for that injury, you may have grounds to bring a maritime accident compensation claim. Whilst fatal maritime accidents are rare, there are many non-fatal incidents that can occur at sea causing painful injury and psychological distress. On this page, you will find information relating to the criteria for making a claim, together with details of how our team can help you.
Here at McCarthy + Co, we have helped many people to bring successful compensation claims against public transport providers and transportation business employers, including passenger ferry companies and organisations involved in maritime shipping. If you have suffered an injury, either as a passenger or an employee on a ship or other seafaring vessel, our specialist personal injury team will listen to your story and help you to quickly ascertain if you have a case. If we can assist you, we will provide you with all the support that you need to help you win the compensation that you deserve.
Bringing a maritime accident claim
If you have been injured on-board a ship, the first most important step is to gather as much evidence as possible before you disembark. This will offer you a much higher chance of winning compensation against the operator.
Be sure to do the following.
- Ensure that your accident is reported in full to the ship or vessel operator and an accurate incident report is completed
- Take photographs of your injuries and the area where the accident happened
- Record the contact details of any witnesses
- Keep a record of any expenses you have incurred because of the accident
- Keep a record of any medical treatment you received on-board the vessel or at the port
- Get a formal medical record from your doctor or the hospital that treated you following your departure from the ship or port.
Some links relating to this topic that you may find useful.
- MCIB – Marine Casualty Investigation Board
- Afloat – Maritime Accident Reports
- Gov.ie – Maritime Safety Strategy
About McCarthy + Co
With more than 30 years of experience in dealing with personal injury claims, McCarthy + Co. has experience bringing claims relating to many different public transport scenarios including maritime accidents. We are a family-run business, who pride ourselves on offering honest, impartial, and helpful advice.
Our offices are based in Dublin and Cork, but we work with clients throughout Ireland in locations ranging from Galway to Waterford. You can count on us for legal advice, guidance, and assistance on any form of personal injury.
If you or a member of your family has been involved in an accident at sea, contact our solicitors today to make a start on your claim or gather more information. Call us on 1800 390 555 and an experienced member of staff will discuss your situation and potential next steps. You can also email on firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can.