Lung cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in Ireland, affecting over 2,400 people each year. If detected at an early stage, the 5-year survival rate for lung cancer can be as high as 70 to 90% depending on the size and location of the tumours. However, the survival rate drops to 5% for people diagnosed at a late stage. As such, cancer misdiagnosis, or late diagnosis, is a devastating blow to the affected individual.
If you, or a member of your family, have suffered as a result of a misdiagnosis of lung cancer, or if you were diagnosed with this illness at a late stage after previously being told it was something else, you may wish to look at bringing a cancer misdiagnosis claim. For further advice regarding bringing your claim, you can speak to a friendly member of our team for free and impartial advice. Simply call the freephone number on this page or send us a message using our online form.
If you are not quite ready to speak to a solicitor about your case, you may find the following links useful for helping you to understand this illness and its treatment options.
Lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer worldwide, causing more deaths than breast and prostate cancer put together. If you have been diagnosed with this illness and want to understand more about it, you may find the following links helpful.
- Irish Cancer Society – Lung cancer page
- Marie Keating Foundation – Lung cancer information
- National Cancer Registry Ireland – Lung cancer statistics
Help and support
The following organisations provide help and support for individuals and families affected by cancer.
- St James’s Hospital Foundation – Target Lung Cancer
- Irish Cancer Society – Managing money and financial support
- Survive and Thrive – Cancer support centres in Ireland
- The Irish Hospice Foundation – Supports for caring at home
If you are interested in scientific and academic developments in the research and study of lung cancer, you may find the following links of interest.
- Positive breakthrough for new lung cancer drug developed at The Royal Marsden
- A breakthrough with a new cancer vaccine
- ScienceDaily – Lung cancer news
Get expert advice from a solicitor
If you received a diagnosis of lung cancer at a late stage, or if you were incorrectly diagnosed with this disease, you may have the grounds to bring a claim against your healthcare provider. Contact our team today for expert advice regarding your situation.