Bowel cancer is one of the most common types of cancers affecting people in Ireland. Over 2,700 people are diagnosed with this illness each year. The survival rate is remarkably high when this illness is diagnosed at an early stage, at 90%. However, this drops to 14% when the cancer is diagnosed late. Therefore, the late diagnosis of bowel cancer is particularly dangerous.
If you have been told you are suffering from bowel cancer, it’s at a late stage and you were previously told it was something else, you may wish to look at bringing a cancer misdiagnosis claim. For further advice regarding bringing your claim, contact our expert medical negligence team today using the freephone number on this page or send us a message via our online form.
If you are not quite ready to speak to a solicitor about your case, you may find the following links useful for helping you to understand this illness and its treatment options.
Bowel cancer is the general term for a group of cancers that begin in the large bowel. Depending on where the cancer starts, bowel cancer is sometimes referred to as colon or rectal cancer. You may find the following links useful for further information on this illness.
- Irish Cancer Society – Bowel cancer page
- Health & Safety Executive – Bowel cancer symptoms and diagnosis
- Marie Keating Foundation – Bowel cancer information
- Image – More than 2,700 people are diagnosed in Ireland every year
Help and support
The following organisations provide help and support for individuals and families affected by cancer.
- Marie Keating Foundation – Coping with advanced bowel cancer
- Irish Cancer Society – Managing money and financial support
- Irish Cancer Society – Cancer support centres in Ireland
- The Irish Hospice Foundation – Supports for caring at home
You may find the following academic and scientific resources useful for expanding your understanding of bowel cancer.
- Advances in Colorectal Cancer Research
- Research and clinical trials
- Important breakthrough made in the battle against bowel cancer
Get expert advice from a solicitor
If you have been diagnosed with bowel cancer at a late stage or if you were misdiagnosed with this form of cancer, you may have the grounds to bring a claim against your healthcare provider. If so, contact our team today for expert advice regarding your situation.