Dentists are highly trained specialists who offer a broad range of preventative and cosmetic treatments to their patients. Most dentists offer extremely high standards of care; however, mistakes do happen, and they can be painful and traumatic for those that experience them. If you have suffered an injury whilst under the care of a dentist, or if you have experienced poor aftercare that has resulted in on-going dental health issues, you may be able to bring a dental negligence compensation claim.
Bringing a dental negligence claim
Dentists perform routine and complex treatments and procedures for their patients each day and, in most cases, they are completed without any complications. However, there are occasions where dentists make mistakes that lead to significant issues for their patients.
Scenarios, where you may be able to bring a claim for dental negligence, include:
- Failure by your dentist to take accurate medical information prior to commencing a dental treatment.
- Failure by your dentist to diagnose a significant dental issue such as periodontitis (gum disease).
- Where your dentist has failed to correctly fit an implant.
- Where your dentist has been careless during a procedure and failed to remove a foreign object from your mouth during treatment.
- Where cosmetic procedures (such as teeth whitening, veneers, or crowns) went wrong, causing significant pain and stress.
- Where tooth extraction operations have been performed incorrectly, causing damage to the nerves and gums.
- Failure by your dentists to provide adequate radiology or imaging.
Of course, there may be many other valid scenarios where it is possible to bring a dental negligence compensation claim. Speak to one of our specialist medical negligence solicitors today for further advice.
Some links relating to making a complaint about your dentist that you may find useful.
- Irish Dental Association – Dental Complaints
- Health Complaints – Dental Council Complaints
- DentistryiQ – Review of Dental Negligence
About McCarthy + Co
With more than 30 years of experience in dealing with medical negligence cases, McCarthy + Co. has expertise in bringing successful claims against dentists and other negligent dental staff. We are a family-run business, who pride ourselves on offering honest, impartial, and helpful advice.
Our offices are based in Dublin and Cork, but we work with clients throughout Ireland in locations ranging from Galway to Waterford. You can count on us for legal advice, guidance, and assistance on any form of personal or medical injury.
If you have experienced poor dental care and would like to instigate a dental negligence claim, get in contact with our specialist solicitors today to make a start on your claim or to gather more information. Call us on 1800 390 555 and an experienced member of staff will discuss your situation and potential next steps. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
In contentious business, a legal practitioner shall not charge any amount in respect of legal costs expressed as a percentage or proportion of any damages (or other moneys) that may become payable to his or her client or purport to set out the legal costs to be charged to a junior counsel as a specified percentage or proportion of the legal costs paid to a senior counsel. A legal practitioner shall not without the prior written agreement of his or her client deduct or appropriate any amount in respect of legal costs from the amount of any damages or moneys that become payable to the client in respect of legal services that the legal practitioner provided to the client.